If you don't lead change, rest assured…change will lead you. How you help your team navigate change minimizes the inevitable storms and keeps your team moving forward. When it comes to change… think progress, not perfection.
A few tips to consider:
- Watch out for the drama inventors…the people who stir the pot to slow progress. They tend to use the words "but or however" in most sentences and often don't have the courage to say what needs to be said when it is appropriate to say it
- Do the homework and then make the decision. Procrastination serves no one. And the armchair quarterbacks are just creating noise. Shut them down
- Watch blame and shame. Change requires risk, and risk means mistakes. Prepare for them. Make the adjustments to the process and move on
- Focus on what matters most. How people feel about change is how effective your efforts will be
- Stay in clean communication. If you are doing something and people need to know… tell them. Generally, when people know what is happening, they feel safer — even if they don't like it—explaining the why of things gives insight to prevent misunderstanding
- Watch for those who are holding on to the past, finding what's wrong instead of building on what is right. Fear never wears well on anyone, so help them let go. Be direct and still inspire
- Mindset in your leaders is everything. Making any change is easy... you make it, and it is done. What is hard is helping people engage and live with the changes! Having change come to life is the responsibility of the leader
THE LESSON: More gets done through small steps of frequent progress than looking for the quantum leap forward. Most people can’t handle the quantum leap anyway
Do you have a comment or any lessons you would like to share? Please send them to email@example.com
Need some inspiration? Sign up to be a HEADTRASH VIP today.
Renie Cavallari, the CEO of Aspire, RCI Institute, and an organizational anthropologist, has been speaking worldwide to groups from 15 to 5000 for over 25 years. Her dynamic, storytelling approach skips the fluff, and Aspire's 96% client retention demonstrates her impact. Her expertise is in transforming results through people. She goes way beyond inspiration as her humorous, engaging, and proven performance improvement strategies have been transforming teams for decades. Renie has worked with thousands of leaders, uses real data, real-world situations, and provides practical action-oriented applications to help leaders shine. Renie's 6th book, HEADTRASH, the Leading Killer of Human Potential, is available on Amazon. For exclusive access to member-only resources, go to www.myheadtrash.com/vip. #DUMPHeadTrash
For over 25 years, Aspire, www.poweredbyaspire.com, is the execution and consulting arm of the RCI Institute, delivering customized training, leadership development services, and strategic cultural alignment to optimize individual and team performance. Known as a transformational-training company that delivers measurable performance improvement, Aspire develops people at all levels of an organization and has worked with thousands of companies worldwide. Aspire's work is the incubator to the RCI Institute's research, real-life practical applications, and modeling.
About RCI Institute
RCI, www.rciinstitute.com, is a real-life, practical applications research and learning lab focused on awakening human potential and igniting the human spirit to play all in. It creates research-based proprietary systems and tools around active thinking, People Technology™, and provides executive leadership coaching and certification that maximize leadership development potential.